West Central Community Safe Room
Community Safe Room at West Central Elementary, 1001 W. 7th St., is
ready for use during tornado and dangerous high wind events.
Tornado Protection Zone:
Community Safe Room is owned by Joplin Schools, and its first function
is to provide protection for West Central Elementary students and staff
during tornado and extreme high wind events during school hours.
and after school hours, the Safe Room will also be available to
residents who do not have safe locations to take shelter such as a
basement and who live within what we refer to as the “Tornado Protection
Zone” (TPZ - see link to map below).
- West Central Special Needs Form
Notification of Safe Room Opening:
TPZ represents a 1/4-mile radius around the school and a roughly
five-minute or less walking distance to the Safe Room at West Central
- Due to the estimated time necessary to safely reach
the Safe Room after a weather warning has been issued and the Safe
Room’s maximum capacity of 974 persons, including the student body and
staff, the Safe Room is not designed to provide shelter for those who
live beyond this protection zone.
- West Central Elementary TPZ map
- Your official notification that the Safe Room is open will be through your NOAA weather radio.
- The Safe Room will be opened when:
- The National Weather Service issues a tornado warning
- Tornado sirens are activated by the City of Joplin
a weather warning is issued after school hours, a designated trained
safe room supervisor will open the facility for the community and
oversee the facility for the duration of the weather warning.
West Central Elementary Safe Room Entrance